POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kotoji again [117 kb jpeg] : Re: Kotoji again [117 kb jpeg] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kotoji again [117 kb jpeg]
From: Bill Hails
Date: 7 Apr 2004 18:27:49
Message: <40748065@news.povray.org>
"Chris Johnson" <chris(at)chris-j(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> Very nice! I must say I rather like the way the water looks in the
> distance - you can get that kind of blurred effect in longer exposure
> photographs.

Thanks. I'd better point out again (I did in my first post of this WIP,
but not in this one) that the trees in the bg are a photo. It's cheating
really and I'd hope to model them in any final post. The water is

    texture {
        pigment { rgbt 1.0 }
        normal {
            bumps 0.008
            scale 0.16
            // turbulence 0.5
        }
        finish {
            ambient 0.0
            diffuse 0.0
            reflection {
                0.5, 1.0
                fresnel on
            }
            specular 0.4
            roughness 0.003
        }
    }
    interior {
        ior 1.3
    }

with a black plane underneath it

> Alternatively, a texture a bit like
> http://www.gris.uni-tuebingen.de/~bartz/Photos/usa/rainier.jpg would work.
> I like the forground of this one where you can actually see the ripples,
> but both in that photo and (in my experience) in pov-ray, you can start
> getting odd pixels shining up bright at long distances, where the scale of
> the detail is much smaller than the pixel resolution. A lot of
> antialiasing might fix this though. BTW, google image search for "lake
> reflection" brings up a lot of nice photos of how this kind of thing looks
> for lake surfaces of various roughnesses.

anti-aliasing is probably the main reason why it took
Time For Parse:    0 hours  8 minutes  27.0 seconds (507 seconds)
Time For Trace:   81 hours 47 minutes  26.0 seconds (294274 seconds)
    Total Time:   81 hours 53 minutes   1.0 seconds (294781 seconds)
:-)

> I have a few other comments - it would be nice if the water was a bit
> higher, so that the small plant by the water line in the foreground was
> reflected more clearly. The trees in the background are also rather large,
> it seems to me. Perhaps the top of the trees could be visable in the lake,
> and some sky and scenery behind (a mountain?).

I'll have a look at raising the water level, it's keyed to the texture
and the hf of the far (and near) banks however.
I'm working from a reference photo, the trees are pretty much in keeping
with that.

> Very impressive overall though.

Thanks, It's slow going though :-)

--